- Search in both directions: no need to switch the input of the translation, the application automatically recognizes the language of the entered word
- Morphological search: you can enter words in any (morphological) form, i.e. any gender, number, case or tense, a feature especially appreciated by beginners
- Full text search: other relevant occurrences of a given word in examples and collocations (other than in that specific instance) are displayed under the dictionary entry
- Word completion: just type in the first 3 letters of a word to display a list of suggestions (possible headwords)
- No diacritics: you can enter a word without using any diacritics, the application will look up the correct headword automatically, this feature is especially useful on mobile phones
- Spelling suggestions: if you misspell a word, the application will suggest possible correct spellings of similar words
- You can use pinyin transcription when entering words in the Chinese dictionary
- You can find the correct headword in the Greek dictionary even if you enter it in the Roman alphabet or without diacritics.
- You can use both Roman and Cyrillic alphabets when entering words in Serbian
Benefits of the dictionaries for language learners and language teaching:
- Well-structured and clearly arranged dictionary entries
- Distinguished and marked homonyms
- Each headword features relevant grammatical info such as its word class, gender, verbal aspect, etc.
- The entries contain many contextual notes specifying respective equivalents in order to help the user understand their exact meaning
- When there is no exact translation, an explanation of the meaning is used instead
- Verbs feature information about prepositions or the grammatical cases they take, this essential information is often missing in most online dictionaries
- All headwords feature complete IPA phonetic transcription, Chinese uses pinyin transcritptions
- Accents (stress) are indicated for Italian, Russian and Ukrainian headwords
- German homonyms feature stress indication in cases where one of them has a separable prefix and the second an inseparable one
- Entries in selected languages also contain (irregular) forms of nouns, adjectives and verbs at respective headwords
- Moreover, irregular verbs are marked with an asterisk
- For English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Russian, detailed word form (morphological) tables can be displayed; furthermore, there is a full overview of all tenses (both simple and compound ones) for any given verb
- Also available for major languages, there are up to 40 000 headwords featuring audio examples by native speakers
- For many entries, synonyms and antonyms are displayed right away in the lower left-hand part of the window
- The option to display words with the same word stem but having different prefixes or suffixes can be a great help when extending your vocabulary
- The English dictionary also features a clearly arranged list of all phrasal verbs having the same root verb
- Language learners will surely appreciate vocabulary-related topics such as: Colours, Birds, Languages, Professions, Fruits, Trees, Clothes, Diseases etc. - a total of over 100 topics in each language.
- All entries were prepared and checked by experienced linguists and translators. They are not a result of machine translation or automatically generated word pairs based on corpora.
The data included is guaranteed to be up-to-date as we keep adding new words, collocations and examples for the languages and the portal is updated regularly.
What you can find at the site: